Sunday, June 30, 2013

Getting the Full San Francisco Experience With Hana Zen


Oh, San Francisco! What an amazing city! As someone from the Midwest, I was amazed at this charming city when I tagged along with my husband for a business trip. The city is a perfect mix of modernity and quirky traditions. The tall buildings stand side by side with the world’s most famous Chinatown. The Bay Area and Fisherman’s Wharf are perfect locations for a some strolling, sightseeing, and picture taking. For a day steep in history, one can go to Alcatraz, which was until its closure, the most secure prison in the world with allegedly zero escapes, or ride a cable car, the first of which ran in the late 19th century.

I know I may sound like a naïve out-of-towner tourist who’s in awe of such a big city, but the truth is, San Francisco is really one nice place to go to. As my husband was busy with all the matters he had to finish for business, I had a grand time exploring the city. I shopped ‘til I dropped, got fascinated by the sights, and savored the sounds of this wonderful place. But then, as business hours ended, I expected (and of course, told my husband) to be wined and dined, San Francisco style. So, I told him to better regale me with a memorable dinner at the water front to really complete my wonder SF experience. I don’t think that’s too much to ask, right?

I could tell hubby was a bit pressured to take me somewhere that would be up to my expectations, which weren’t that much before I touched down San Francisco, but are now quite high after getting a taste of the city. The city has some of the best restaurants in the world, so I think any girl would have great expectations when sampling the culinary treats of a city like San Francisco, right?

My husband picked me up from the hotel we were staying and told me we were going to Hana Zen, a restaurant on Pier 39 one of his San Francisco associates recommended to him. Immediately, I have to say I was impressed by the location and look of the restaurant. The panoramic views as seen from the place’s windows were just breathtaking! That’s one point for San Francisco!

Then, it was time to order. I have to admit, my taste in food is not that refined, so I am quite easy to please. But at the same time, I am not the first person you would think of as someone adventurous when it comes to eating. So, I tried a little of everything on the Hana Zen menu, from Goma-ae to the creative rolls and even some chic sake infused cocktails. I have to say, I didn’t want the exotic names to overwhelm me, and I just focused on the flavors.

And the flavors were great! I could really sense the restaurant was using fresh ingredients in preparing their food. With the right atmosphere, this sumptuous food, my dinner by the bay experience was complete. I was also informed that Hana Zen also has a restaurant in Union Square, perfect for casual dining.

Now, I can really say my San Francisco experience was complete, thanks to all the places I went to, and especially Hana Zen!

No comments:

Post a Comment